Study Abroad Programs in Southeast Asia
Study abroad in Southeast Asia
What's it like to study abroad in Southeast Asia? See and hear in this video made by 2016 NIU graduate Brandon Woodhouse, who went to Bali with Music Professor Jui-Ching Wang's study abroad program in 2014.
- Limited study abroad travel funds are available through the Provost's Study Abroad Travel Grant. For details, contact the Study Abroad office at (815) 753-0700. Ask about the Provost's Travel Grant for Study Abroad or the Provost's Honors Travel Grant for Study Abroad for possible travel funds for language and other summer study abroad programs in Southeast Asia.
- Visit our Student Funding page for related funding opportunities.
NIU Co-sponsored Programs
The Study Abroad Office provides links to the web sites of NIU-approved study-abroad providers. Click on Programs / By Country to search for approved programs in Southeast Asian countries.
For NIU Students: Those interested in taking language or area studies abroad through non-NIU programs are advised to work through NIU’s Study Abroad Office. By doing so, students can receive NIU credit and possibly have NIU financial aid apply, in addition to receiving liability and insurance protections.
Helpful Travel Information
The NIU Study Abroad Office provides many travel links, including information about passports, student identity cards, and tourism offices worldwide. Other tips can be found in this helpful study abroad guide from the nonprofit Community for Accredited Online Schools.
Programs & Scholarships from Other Institutions
The best way to find a reputable study abroad program is to meet with a Program Coordinator at the Study Abroad Office, who can help you find and choose an approved program. Students may petition to apply for a non-approved program; however, this must be done through the Study Abroad Office. Start this process at least a year in advance.
- Boren Awards for International Study
- Center for Lao Studies, Study Abroad in Laos (SAIL)
- Consortium for the Teaching of Indonesian (COTI) (UCLA)
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Critical Language Scholarship Program (Indonesian)
- Freeman-Asia Award Program (IIE)
- Gilman International Scholarship
- Institute of International Education - Fulbright (IIE)
- Kalamazoo College Study Abroad
- Princeton in Asia (PiA)
- Provost's Travel Grants for Study Abroad (NIU only)
- School for International Training (SIT)
- Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI)
- The United States - Indonesia Society (USINDO)
- University of Hawaii (Indonesian and Malay)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Study Abroad
- University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC)
- WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources