Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Welcome to NIU’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies, NIU's only federally funded Title VI National Resource Center. At CSEAS you can explore Southeast Asia with award-winning faculty associates in anthropology, art history, history, languages and cultures, music and political science. You can learn one of five Southeast Asian languages taught at NIU: Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Tagalog and Thai. Our interdisciplinary program offers an undergraduate minor and a graduate certificate, in addition to generous Foreign Language and Area Studies fellowships and opportunities to study in-country. Expand your world by connecting with our internationally focused community of scholars and students.
- Email email@example.com to get our weekly e-bulletin sent to your email box
- Attend our Friday lecture series **SPRING SCHEDULE POSTED**
- Call CSEAS to talk to an advisor about our undergraduate minor or graduate certificate
- See what alumni have to say about our program
- Be a short-term host family for one of our two State Department youth exchange programs this spring: Southeast Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP) and the Philippine Youth Leadership Program (PYLP).
The Future Calls
Be a Southeast Asian studies benefactor through the NIU Foundation
- CSEAS now offers non-credit Distance Burmese. Module 2 runs Jan. 24-March 30
- CSEAS wins sixth U.S. Department of Education Title VI National Resource Center award for 2018-2022.
- Current Bulletin
- Mandala Newsletter
Join us for a second year of insightful conversation with Southeast Asian experts, writers, artists and musicians on our podcast series, Southeast Asia Crossroads.